Affiliates

free forum

Train Deck Discussion. Academy Lesson

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Train Deck Discussion. Academy Lesson

Post by Adrian Skyler on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:18 pm

Train Deck Discussion!

1.0 Contents

To use this press CTRL+F (Command+F if on a Mac (I think)), and type in the number at the start of each part and you will be taken there.

Code:
1.0 Contents
2.0 Introduction
3.0 The Deck
3.1 The Core
3.2 Support
3.3 Staples/Techs
3.4 The Extra Deck
4.0 Conclusion

2.0 Introduction

So, as the cards for the new set Secrets of Evolution were being revealed, I was excited at all the new decks that could be made, but non more so than Trains. Armed with their three new support cards; the field spell Revolving Switchyard; the new monster Heavy Freight Train Derricrane; and their XYZ Number 81: Superdreadnought Rail Cannon Superior Dora. The deck is ready to ride the tracks to victory.

3.0 The Deck

Code:
Decklist: 40

Monsters:14
3 Heavy Freight Train Derricrane
3 Night Express Knight
3 Ruffian Railcar
2 Express Train Trolley Olley
2 Malefic Cyber End Dragon
1 Snow Plow Hustle Rustle

Spells:14
3 Mystical Space Typhoon
3 Revolving Switchyard
3 Special Schedule
2 Train Connection
1 Mound of the Bound Creator
1 Terraforming
1 Raigeki

Traps: 12
2 Breakthrough Skill
2 Cursed Seal of the Forbidden Spell
2 Skill Drain
2 Vanity's Emptiness
1 Bottomless Trap Hole
1 Compulsory Evacuation Device
1 Solemn Warning
1 Torrential Tribute

Extra Deck: 15
2 Cyber End Dragon
2 Superdreadnought Rail Cannon Superior Dora
2 Skypalace Gangaridai
2 Superdreadnough Rail Cannon Gustav Max
1 Abyss Dweller
1 Castel, the Skyblaster Musketeer
1 Dark Rebellion XYZ Dragon
1 Evilswarm Exciton Knight
1 Number 101: Silent Honor ARK
1 Number 99: Utopic Dragon
1 Superdimensional Robot Galaxy Destroyer

3.1 The Core

Code:
If an EARTH Machine-Type monster(s) is Normal or Special Summoned to your side of the field (except during the Damage Step): You can Special Summon this card from your hand, but its original ATK and DEF are halved. You can only use this effect of "Heavy Freight Train Derricrane" once per turn. If this card is detached from an Xyz Monster and sent to the Graveyard to activate that monster's effect: You can target 1 card your opponent controls; destroy it.

One of the new cards in Secrets of Evolution, Heavy Freight Train Derricrane is a great addition to this deck. This card is how you are going to be getting your 1 turn XYZ plays. He also has a nifty second effect that lets you destroy something on your opponent's field when it's detached from an XYZ monster to use their effect.

Code:
Cannot be Special Summoned from the Deck. You can Normal Summon this card without Tributing, but its original ATK becomes 0.

One of the first cards that was released for the Trains, Night Express Knight is the card you'd want to combo with Heavy Freight Train Derricrane to get your one turn XYZs.

Code:
Once per turn: You can inflict 500 damage to your opponent. You cannot conduct your Battle Phase the turn you activate this effect. During the End Phase, if this card is in the Graveyard because it was sent there this turn: You can add 1 Level 10 EARTH Machine-Type monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Ruffian Railcar" once per turn.

A seemingly random card that came out in The New Challengers, Ruffian Railcar is one of this decks search engines. He also has another effect that isn't too useful, but can be nifty as a way to do some damage on the first turn, or to finish off the game without the fear of cards that will stop you when you try to attack.

Code:
If a Level 10 EARTH Machine-Type monster(s) is Normal or Special Summoned to your side of the field (except during the Damage Step): You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 EARTH Machine-Type monster with 1800 or more ATK from your Deck, and if you do, its Level becomes 10. If you activated this effect, your opponent takes no further battle damage this turn. You can send 1 card from your hand to the Graveyard; add 1 Level 10 EARTH Machine-Type monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use 1 "Revolving Switchyard" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

The second of the three new cards, Revolving Switchyard is one of the best cards in the deck. It has two great effects that helps your deck with consistency. You can either Special Summon Ruffian Railcar or Express Train Trolley Olley (there are other targets that I'm not running) to allow you to go for that one turn XYZ, or you can send a card from your hand to the graveyard to grab a Level 10 Earth Machine monster from your deck.

Code:
Target 1 Machine-Type monster with 3000 or more ATK in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target in face-up Defense Position. You can only activate 1 "Special Schedule" per turn. If this Set card is sent from the field to the Graveyard: You can target 1 Level 10 Machine-Type monster in your Graveyard; add that target to your hand.

The final card I'd class as "core" in this deck (other than the XYZs), Special Schedule is your Monster Reborn of the deck. The only target for it is Night Express Night, or some of your XYZs, but that doesn't make it a bad card at all. It also has a second effect that will let you add back a Level 10 Machine from the graveyard when it is destroyed while set.

As you can see from the core of the deck, the main premise behind Trains is to go for Rank 10 XYZs and beat your opponent down with them.

3.2 Support

Code:
An Xyz Monster that was Summoned using this card on the field as Xyz Material gains this effect.
● If it is Xyz Summoned: It gains 800 ATK.

One of the random Trains released in Dragons of Legend, Express Train Trolley Olley is a decent card in this deck (if it wasn't for the field spell I wouldn't run it). He is one of the targets for Revolving Switchyard and his other ability allows him to boost up your already very strong Rank 10s by 800 Attack.

Code:
This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card cannot be Special Summoned except by removing from play 1 "Cyber End Dragon" from your Extra Deck. There can only be 1 face-up "Malefic" monster on the field. Other monsters you control cannot declare an attack. If there is no face-up Field Spell Card on the field, destroy this card.

With the fact we run 4 Field Spells, I thought it would be a good idea to call on the better of the two Level 10 Malefics, Malefic Cyber End Dragon. This guy is a great way to beat down your opponent if you can't get anything going and also helps with the XYZing.

Code:
When your opponent's monster declares a direct attack, if you control a card(s) in your Spell & Trap Card Zone: You can Special Summon this card from your hand, then destroy as many cards in your Spell & Trap Card Zone as possible, and if you do, inflict 200 damage to your opponent for each destroyed card. You cannot Special Summon any monsters, except Machine-Type monsters.

The last monster in the main deck, Snow Plow Hustle Rustle is a way to stop your opponent's attacks (for a small pay off of destroying your own Spells/Traps) to allow you to go for an XYZ next turn. If you want to run Tragoedia in this deck (I will probably side him when I make a side deck for the deck), by all means go ahead, I just feel like this guy is slightly better due to the fact it's an Earth Machine.

Code:
Must be equipped to an EARTH Machine-Type monster, by banishing 2 Level 10 or higher Machine-Type monsters from your Graveyard, and cannot be equipped by other ways. The equipped monster's ATK becomes double its original ATK, also if it attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent. Other monsters you control cannot attack.

Another of the random train cards that came out in Dragons of Legend, Train Connection is almost one of those "win more cards", as it turns your already ~3000 Attack XYZ into an ~6000 Attack XYZ with piercing. Although only that card can attack, the double Attack and piercing a really good and this card helps you OTK so easily, this card and a Superdreadnought Rail Cannon Gustav Max can easily take your opponent down, especially when combined with the effect of Heavy Freight Train Derricrane which can remove that one monster in the way of you and that direct attack.

Code:
Level 10 or higher monsters on the field cannot be targeted or destroyed by card effects. If a Level 10 or higher monster on the field destroys a monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: The player who controlled the destroyed monster takes 1000 damage. When this card on the field is destroyed by a card effect and sent to the Graveyard: You can add 1 DIVINE monster from your Deck to your hand.

Another Dragons of Legend card, while not printed specifically for trains, Mound of the Bound Creator is a great card in the deck. It combos really well with Malefic Cyber End Dragon and makes sure You will be getting that XYZ through before your opponent can try and stop you with traps (then you can just stop that with Superdreadnought Rail Cannon Superior Dora). Its second effect makes it so your opponent can't just hope to stall you out by setting a monster until they get an out by putting them on a max 8 turn clock. Its last effect isn't useful in this deck, but if you want to be crazy and make a Divine Train deck, go ahead.

The support in this deck helps support the Rank 10 ideology of the deck. Which is great, as it helps you get those Rank 10s out faster and a lot of the support makes the Rank 10s just that bit stronger.

3.3 Staples/Techs

As opposed to giving pictures for these cards (as you should know what most of them do, I'll just talk about them).

The first staple card I am running is 3 copies of Mystical Space Typhoon, this card is great in the post The New Challengers meta as not only is everyone still running Vanity's Emptiness, but Qliphorts are now one of the top decks and they are very susceptible to the card.

The second staple is Raigeki. This card isn't too useful against Shaddoll and Burning Abyss, but it's great in 95% of rogue matchups and because of that it's a great card to run in general.

The third staple I'm running here is Bottomless Trap Hole. This card is as good as ever with all of the monsters that get their effect when sent to the Graveyard.

The next staple I'm running is Breakthrough Skill. Negating effects has always been a good thing in the game and this is one of the best cards to do it.

I'm running a Compulsory Escape Device. This card falls under the same category as Bottomless Trap Hole in the way that it avoids sending cards to the Graveyard

Another staple I have is Solemn Warning, this card is (probably) the best of the 4 limited staple traps, as for the cost of 2000 life points you get to negate a summon.

The second to last staple I'm running is the final limited trap Torrential Tribute. This card falls under the same category of Raigeki, not good against Burning Abyss or Shaddolls, but great against most rogue decks.

The final staple I'm running is Vanity's Emptiness. This is a really great card, as it can stop your opponent having a chance to get back once you get your big threats on the board and can make so many cards fizzle, making your opponent effectively waste them unless they use Mystical Space Typhoon on it, which frees up your other traps from it and you can still use them to stop the threat that the card you planned on stopping with Vanity's Emptiness will bring out..

The first of three tech cards I'm running is a copy of Terraforming. This card helps you get to your field spells, which can really help in this deck.

The second tech card I'm running is Cursed Seal of the Forbidden Spell. As this deck runs a decent number of spells, I thought I'd try this card, as It's great against Qliphort and Shaddolls and a lot of rogue matchups like Spellbooks/Prophecy.

The last card in my main deck is Skill Drain. We can see from this format with Qliphorts that this card is really good. It's another way to negate effects and doesn't hurt this deck too much. It combos well with Malefic Cyber End Dragon or Night Express Knight, it doesn't stop the effect of any of our monsters in the main (other than Ruffian Railcar's burn, but that's not useful) and our XYZs have amazing stats, so they can still hurt even without their effects.

The Staples/Techs in this deck really tie the bow in the present (not for your opponents) that this deck is. Although the main firepower comes in the form of your Extra Deck (which we will look at next). As always, there is a lot of room to swap things around when it comes to Staples/Techs and even the Support somewhat, so if you don't like anything I have in here, go ahead and change it.

3.4 Extra Deck

We are running 2 copies of Cyber End Dragon so we can actually summon Malefic Cyber End Dragon, they serve no other purpose.

Code:
2 Level 4 monsters
While this card has an Xyz Material attached that was originally WATER, all WATER monsters you control gain 500 ATK. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; any card effects that activate in your opponent's Graveyard cannot be activated this turn.

The first of our five Rank 4s, Abyss Dweller is a great card for this format with all of the effects that activate in the grave. It's also really good against the Hands/Artifacts still if you run into a deck running one (or both) of them in it.

Code:
2 Level 4 monsters
You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 face-up monster on the field; change it to face-down Defense Position. You can detach 2 Xyz Materials from this card, then target 1 other face-up card on the field; shuffle it into the Deck. You can only use 1 "Castel, the Skyblaster Musketeer" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

The "360 noscoper", Castel, the Skyblaster Musketeer is one of the best Rank 4s coming out in Duelist Alliance, this card is a great way to get around those effects that activate in the graveyard and can also get rid of Continuous Spells/Traps or Field Spells. He can also set monsters with low Defense so you can run them over.

Code:
2 Level 4 monsters
You can detach 2 Xyz Materials from this card, then target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; its ATK becomes half its current ATK, and if it does, this card gains that lost ATK.

The cover card for The New Challengers, Dark Rebellion XYZ dragon is pretty much the strongest Rank 4 (in terms of his attack) due to its effect, which while combined with its already hefty 2500 attack makes a monster that's hard to get over.

We should all know what Evilswarm Exciton Knight and Number 101: Silent Honor ARK do. I'm running one of each in this deck as they are the best 2 Rank 4s in most people's opinions.

Code:
2 Level 10 monsters
Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 face-up monster on the field; this turn, it is unaffected by other card effects, except its own.

The final new card for this archetype, Number 81: Superdreadnought Rail Cannon Superior Dora (with its incredibly long name), is an amazing card. Not only does it have massive stats in both Attack and Defense, it allows you to protect itself, or another monster. You can even do some shenanigans with your opponent's monsters with this guy, for example stopping Constellar Kaus from making the other Constellar level 5.

Code:
3 Level 10 monsters
You can also Xyz Summon this card by discarding 1 "Rank-Up-Magic" Spell Card and using a "Utopia" monster you control as the Xyz Material. (Xyz Materials attached to that monster also become Xyz Materials on this card.) Once per turn: You can target 1 "Number" monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it in Defense Position, but its effects are negated. During either player's turn, when a monster effect is activated that targets this face-up card: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card.

An underlooked secret rare from The New Challengers, Number 99: Utopic Dragon is a great card in this deck. While you only have 2 targets in the deck for its first effect, summoning Number 81: Superdreadnought Rail Cannon Superior Dora with its effect gives you a massive 4000 Defense wall. This card also has a way to protect itself, which is great, as well as a whopping 4000 base Attack, this card is not one to be messed around with.

Code:
2 Level 10 monsters
You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 card your opponent controls; destroy that target, and if you do, inflict 1000 damage to your opponent. You can only use the effect of "Skypalace Gangaridai" once per turn. This card cannot attack the turn you activate this effect.

One of the cards I was really excited for from Number Hunters, Skypalace Gangaridai is a great rank 10 card. Its a way to get over monsters you wouldn't normally be able to get over while burning them for a little bit at the same time.

Code:
3 Level 10 monsters
Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; destroy all Spell and Trap Cards your opponent controls. Your opponent cannot activate Spell/Trap Cards in response to this effect's activation.

A monster with a whopping 5000 Attack, Superdimensional Galaxy Destroyer. Gone are the days where you would have to make a deck around summoning him, now this monster (I mean that figuratively and literally) is not too hard to summon in this deck. With it's even better Harpie's Feather Duster effect this is one card your opponent won't want to see on the field.

Code:
2 Level 10 monsters
Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; inflict 2000 damage to your opponent.

Rounding off the deck we have the "OG" Rank 10, Superdreadnought Rail Cannon Gustav Max. He has great all around stats, with 3000 in both Attack and Defense and his ability allows for you to burn your opponent for 2000 damage. Which, combined with an attack from him is a whopping 5000 damage in one turn.

As you can see the extra deck is where this deck really shines and this is how you will be winning games for the most part.

4.0 Conclusion

Overall I think this deck can actually be a pretty competitive one with the strength of Rank 10s and how easy it is to summon them. I'd definitely recommend this deck if they are looking for a new deck to make.

Adrian Skyler
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Title : Saiyan Shota

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Train Deck Discussion. Academy Lesson

Post by Reiji Akaba on Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:24 am

Wow. I'm actually glad you guys discussed Trains while I was gone. Or at least went over it. I feel like trains are probably the most fun deck in my opinion. I never thought of using 99 before because really, I hardly get anyone getting over 81, but it is a good idea. But anyways, good work man!

Banned Member
Banned Member

Title : CEO of LDS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Unnamed4awhile on Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:41 am

haha i remember the Train Wreck you caused last time Reiji..
Unnamed4awhile

Title : Incarnation of the Shadow Monarch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lryuzaki13 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:58 pm

A very comprehensive look at the new(ish) archetype, but I would like to point out the possibility of using Limiter Removal. Limiter Removal(Especially with Express Knight and Skill Drain, Malefic Cyber End Dragon, etc.) can decimate an opponent's life.

Lryuzaki13

Title : Miaow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vampyre on Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:57 pm

coolz, I might have learned something

Vampyre
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Title : idk

View user profile